Well you know a Type A must plan everything. I decided early in my pregnancy that I needed to plan everything and be in total control. I wanted to know the time and date and control as many variables as possible. I mean honestly, what would I do if my water broke on rounds. It didn't lessen my anxiety that the physicians I work with all made jokes about which unqualified MD would deliver me. Would it be an intensivist on rounds, an interventional cardiologist who boasts at having delivered 12 babies before, a cardiologist who has delivered 2 babies, and the list goes on. I WANTED A PLANNED C-SECTION.
When I presented my plan to my OB, she was less than thrillled but agreed to do what I wanted. Somewhere along the way I changed my mind. I have no idea why, but still wanting to be in control I convinced my OB to induce me at 39 weeks.
At 38 weeks I planned to have my baby. My OB was on call, and hey it was a baby girl so her lungs should be fine...she was fully cooked. I tried every old tale you have heard of. I will spare you the details, but if you have heard of it I tried it. The only thing I didn't do was take my new car over a ton of speed bumps. Did I mention that my wonderful husband had me riding around on trash bags in that new car for a month prior to delivery?
Induction was scheduled for 4/20/11, and I planned 4/18/11 to be my last day at work. Well Emory made the first of what would be many loud declarations that she would be calling the shots. My water broke at 4 am (45 minutes before I would have gotten up to get ready for work.) Since contractions did not begin we loaded the car (of course I was packed....I had been for over a month), straightened the house (of course I had cleaned already, I am type A), and loaded the dishwasher before we left.
We arrived at the hospital at 6 am. I changed and IV fluids were started. I was dilated to 4-5. After a liter or two of fluids I had my epidural. It was so much better than I imagined....not too scary at all. Six hours after I arrived Emory was born at 12:32 pm. A benefit of working at the hospital you deliver at is the special attention you receive. Emory came out loudily announcing her arrival. This child had APGARs of 10/10 and screamed until they put her in my arms! Back to special attention...I got to keep her in recovery with me for about 2-3 hours before she went to the nursery. By 4 pm I was in my own room, in regular clothes, and digging through my suitcase when my first visitor arrived.
Emory's arrival was nothing like the screaming women on TV. It was amazing and lightening fast compareed to most first time births.
So I went from this
to holding this sweet face
Photos by Brooke Kelly Photography
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment